If you are an overworked and stressed doctor who wonders if there is anything you could do to be happier, more relaxed and have enough time to do things for yourself, instead of allowing the monster that is Medicine, eat you up, then here are some suggestions for you.
You can’t go on like this, because if you do then something has to give and that something will be your personal health and well-being so that you are unable to function as a doctor efficiently and effectively any more. This will impact on your ability as a doctor and the way you feel about your patients and your medical work and eventually can lead to burn out and having to leave the profession on health grounds.
Not only your medical work, but your life in general already can be affected when you are on the go all the time. This results in you finding it difficult to make decisions or decide what is best for your life now. Your relationships suffer and your self-care is decreased and you will feel frustrated and ineffectual. You may long to take some ‘time out’ but don’t know how or what to do!
What can you do to change your situation?
- Leave the Medical profession completely, which might solve the problem yet feel anxious about what to do instead
- Consider retirement yet wonder if you will be bored without the routine of work
- Continue as a doctor and try to improve your work-life balance but don’t know how to
- Free up more time for you – but don’t believe it is possible
- Carry on as you are until you cannot cope any more and become completely burnt out
What could happen if you don’t care for yourself more?
- Become more stressed and unhappy;
- Get fully burnt out;
- Be unable to enjoy Medicine any more;
- Become confused about what to do next…….
You long for some space and time to:
- decide what to do for you
- discover for yourself that it is possible to be a doctor and live your life in whatever way you want…..
Life doesn’t have to be like that for you….
You can be:
- more relaxed
- find answers to your dilemmas
- decide on steps to move forward…..
But HOW can you achieve this? You must:
- nurture yourself because when you look after yourself you can better look after your patients
- relax, reflect so that you can make decisions calmly and in an informed way
- make new connections with parts of yourself which have been neglected for a while so that you become a whole person again, by exercising, stretching, being creative
- connect with nature so that you find something beyond your day to day work
- find a new way forward, which you hadn’t discovered before so that you are more confident about changes you decide to make
There is also a once only opportunity to discover new ways to connect and change in beautiful West Cornwall, UK, so you can be refreshed, relaxed and make decisions about what to do next.
You will experience being able to Connect and Change with:
- Your body which will become energised, exercised and stretched with walking, yoga, relaxation….
- Your mind, to be able to think more clearly as you have time to consider what to do next in your life as you spend time in nature, by the sea, learn about and experience mindfulness… and have the chance to use me and others as a sounding board to discover your own solutions.
- Your emotions which will become calmer as you put things into proportion while watching the ocean in an area of outstanding natural beauty and have the opportunity for personal reflection and discussion with other medics and experience coaching as a sounding board for your thoughts and ideas.
- Your creativity which will be awakened as you have permission to have fun and discover new ways to express yourself through art and music, and discover something new about yourself.
- Your enjoyment which will be increased….as you enjoy bird watching, swimming, ….conversations….laughing….staying in a beautiful place just minutes from the sea, so you can relax and refresh your mind, body and spirit; and experience a day foraging (with an expert) for wild food then cooking and feasting on it!
When you connect with new experiences you will be able to make the changes you want and discover which direction to take next, within or out of the Medical profession, in order to live the life you truly want.
To take some time out just for you and discover what to do, for yourself, when you connect with parts of yourself you may have neglected…. find out more here:
With Connect and Change you can too take time out and be able to make the changes you want to make in or out of Medicine.
I’m Susan Kersley and I’m inviting you to spend time with me, my colleagues and a small group of doctors, in Cornwall, UK 3 – 7 April 2014
I was a doctor for more than 30 years before discovering for myself that there is a life after Medicine and enabling doctors to realise this too.